Online Master’s in Public Administration and Policy
24 Month Duration
Financial Aid & Scholarships Available
Learn More Today
Complete the form to learn more about this program. An admissions advisor will reach out to you to discuss coursework, financial aid, and more.
Note: All fields required.
Learn to Lead
The online master’s in public administration and policy combines American University’s nationally recognized and NASPAA-accredited master’s in public administration and master’s in public policy degree programs into one foundational, highly marketable credential. With this program, you will achieve a master’s-level understanding of modern governance from an award-winning faculty working and teaching in the heart of government, Washington, D.C.
#10 Best Public Affairs Program U.S. News & World Report Public Affairs Graduate Schools (2023)
#4 Top Public Management & Leadership Program U.S. News & World Report Pubic Affairs Graduate Schools (2023)
At AU, you will gain a distinct advantage over the competition by mastering the disciplines of both public policy and public administration and graduate with a foundational skill set to build on for life.
Professional Programs for Your Future
The curriculum in the online master’s program will equip you with the real-world skills you need to succeed.
Courses you may take in this program include:
- Foundations of Policy Analysis: Explore the scope, methods, issues, and evolution of policy studies while learning various frameworks for approaching the enterprise of policy analysis.
- Budgeting and Financial Management: Explore public sector budgeting and budgetary processes, including budget execution and control, cost estimation, capital financing and debt management, performance budgeting, and more.
- Public Managerial Economics: Learn about the concepts managers need to become informed consumers of microeconomics-based policy analysis, including resource scarcity, opportunity cost, and supply and demand.
- Organizational Analysis: Diagnose administrative problems and devise practical solutions to enhance governance using organizational analysis with an eye toward developing effective policies.
Public administration and policy is a field that’s always growing and always in demand. In fact, employment of operations research analysts is projected to grow 25% from 2020 to 2030.1
Some jobs our graduates pursue include:
- Government official
- Non-profit program manager
- Non-profit director
- Financial officer
- Ambassador or international leader
“I was able to apply new knowledge and skills toward all three of my careers and it has allowed me to advance my understanding of difficult policy topics and make well-informed decisions.”
– Justin Schultz, Regulatory Manager, 2021 Graduate